The Esteem Of Bhagavathas In Azhwars’ Outlook - 3
In the Previous Notes, we covered Periyazhwar’s and Kulasekhara Azhwar’s reverence and longing to serve at the feet of Bhagavathas. Next in line is Kaliyan, who, in his two exclusive decads — Nannaadha Vaalavunar (Periya Thirumozhi 2-6 – ThirukKadal Mallai) and Kansora Venkurudhi (Periya Thirumozhi 7-4 – Thiru-Cherai) — highlights the glory of the Lord’s devotees.
Here again, for the sake of brevity, only the portion that pertains to the Bhagavathas in each Paasuram has been presented.
First up, we shall take up the decad dedicated to ThirukKadal Mallai.
- We shall not, for a moment, regard those who do not think of the Lord of Thalasayanam.
- Those who recall with devotion the Lord of Thalasayanam are our masters.
- Those who meditate upon ‘JnaanapPiraan’, resident of Kadal Mallai and the symbol of glowing knowledge are our masters.
- Those devotees of Thalasayanam who keep Him in their hearts and rejoice are our tutelary gods.
- O my heart! Offer your worship to those who worship the Lord of Thalasayanam.
- O my heart! Worship those devotees who worship the Lord of Thalasayanam.
- O my pure heart! Adulate those devotees who worship the Lord of Thalasayanam.
- O my pure heart! Worship those who even contemplate His worship at Thalasayanam.
- O my heart! worship those who heartily worship the Lord of Thalasayanam.
- In the phala sruti, the Azhwar concludes that those who master this decad on the Lord of Thalasayanam will reign as King amongst crowned kings.
As can be observed, the theme of this decad is to worship the devotees of the Lord of Kadal Mallai, except the first Paasuram in which the Azhwar decries the non-devotees.
We shall now move on to Thiru-Cherai, which is Kaliyan’s exclusive territory in the sense that he is the lone Azhwar to have sung on Lord Saranatha. The entire decad is steeped in astounding array of word power and wrapped in exquisite lilt, while the sentiments expressed towards Bhagavathas is similar to that of Kadal Mallai.
- I have the feet of those who worship the Lord of Thiru-Cherai on my head.
- Those who worship the Lord of Thiru-Cherai reside in my heart forever.
- Those who worship the Lord of Thiru-Cherai with flowers and sacred water stand out in the line-up of celestials.
- I shall never part from the great people who keep chanting the name of the Lord of Thiru-Cherai.
- My heart will ooze sweet-honey and forever remain sweet for those who contemplate the feet of the Lord of Thiru-Cherai.
- O Lord of Thiru-Cherai! See, my heart and eyes rejoice, having seen Your devotees amid bee-humming groves.
- My masters are those who contemplate and serve Him, for whom my heart overflows with affection.
- The mere thought of the devotees of the Lord of Thiru-Cherai who pray to him with misty eyes and melting heart will keep away death and the terrible effects of Karma.
- See, my heart melts for the devotees of Thiru-Cherai who keep His feet in their hearts.
- In the final Paasuram, the Azhwar give a call to the devotees to offer this garland of songs at His golden feet and worship with folded hands.
Meet you in the next Note.
|<< Prev||Next >>|
Please feel free to let us know your views/comments about the site at email@example.com